Here are today’s Cubs and MLB headlines:
- More players are confirming their participation in the World Baseball Classic. Marcus Stroman and Danny Duffy have said they will play for team USA.
- It appears that Rich Hill is close to returning to the Dodgers on a three-year deal worth around $40M.
- Hill is arguably the best starting pitcher on the free agent market this offseason and good on him for making bank. I’m just not sure I trust his ability to stay healthy and productive for the next three years.
- The Astros signed Carlos Beltran to a one-year deal worth $16M, giving them a glut of offensive players.
- The feeling is they will now make a run at acquiring starting pitching using some of their extra offensive players.
- Former Cub Casey McGehee signed a one-year deal to play baseball in Japan for the Yomiuri Giants.
- The 2014 NL Comeback Player of the Year will be making his 2nd trip to Japan to play baseball. He really hasn’t done much in the big leagues since 2014, but as a one-time Cub, good luck!
- Tonight will start the most exciting week of the offseason when teams all converge on National Harbor, Maryland for the Winter Meetings.
- The rumors will fly, players will be traded, and mystery teams will be whispered about. There is not another professional sport that generates this much buzz during their offseason.