Cubs @ Pirates – Series Preview (September 4-7): TV and Game Info, Pitching Matchups, Insights
The Cubs just wrapped up a very successful seven-game home stand against the Pirates and Braves, going 6-1 and outscoring their opponents 50-24. The second-place Brewers played just as well and remain 3.5 games out of first in the NL Central.
The Cubs now head out on a quick four-game trip to battle the Pirates in Pittsburgh. They blasted the Bucs last week at Wrigley, feasting on their pitching and shutting down their offense. In fact, the total score of the series was a stunning 27-5 and the three-game sweep basically ended the Pirates’ playoff hopes.
Gerrit Cole has had a slightly better second half than his first, but a 4.11 ERA has been a disappointment for an ace-level pitcher. Starling Marte is back after his 80-game steroid suspension and is hitting .318 his last seven games. Still, it has been a lost year for the Pittsburgh left fielder.
The Cubs punished the Pirates last series and they need to do so again with a crucial three-game series against Milwaukee looming at the end of the week. A four-game sweep is a lot to ask for against any team, but winning three of four is a good goal to aim for.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, September 4 at 3:05 CT on ESPN and ABC-7
- Tuesday, September 5 at 6:05 CT on CSN-C
- Wednesday, September 6 at 6:05 CT on WGN
- Thursday, September 7 at 6:05 CT on MLB-Network (out of market) and CSN-C
What To Watch For
- Javy Baez had to leave Sunday’s game early after colliding with Braves second baseman Ozzie Albies on a pick-off. Javy had blurred vision, but was not in a concussion protocol. His status for Monday’s game is up in the air.
- Ian Happ was hot during the homestand with 8 hits, 8 RBI’s, and 2 homers.
- Jake Arrieta was just named National League Pitcher of Month for August. Overall his ERA is down to 3.36 and he has been the Cubs’ best starter down the stretch.
- The Pirates’ Josh Harrison was hit by a pitch and broke his hand against the Reds this weekend and is likely done for the season.