The Cubs (39-30) are coming off a disappointing series against the Mets, dropping three of four in New York. The offense went into hibernation against the NL East leaders, averaging just 2.2 runs per game, while Cubs pitching issued an alarming 22 walks.
Chicago is 6-4 in their last 10 as they return home for a three-game set against Miami (29-39), who they’ll be facing for the first time this season. The Marlins have gone 5-11 in June and were just swept by the Cardinals in St. Louis after scoring a total of three runs in three games.
Miami ranks seventh with a collective ERA of 3.48 and 27th in OPS (.669). Pablo López, who’s scheduled to pitch in game two, will pose the biggest threat. López ranks third on the team in ERA, strikeouts, WHIP, BAA, and innings pitched. The Cubs are fortunate to avoid the Marlins’ best two pitchers, Sandy Alcantara and Trevor Rogers.
Jesús Aguilar is having a career year with a .273/.333/.818 slash line that ranks first amongst Miami hitters in all three categories. He also leads the team with 49 RBI, 12 home runs, 62 hits, and a .485 slugging percentage. To limit the Marlins’ offensive output, the Cubs would be wise to work around Aguilar and force someone else to beat them.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, June 18 at 7:05pm CT on Marquee, MLB Network, 670 The Score, and WRTO
- Saturday, June 19 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee, 670 The Score, and WRTO
- Sunday, June 20 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee, 670 The Score, and WRTO
What to Watch For
- Davies has a 2.12 ERA in June and hasn’t allowed a run in his last two starts.
- The Cubs have a six-game winning streak at Wrigley. Their last loss was on May 30 to Cincinnati.
- The Marlins are 13-25 away from home and have lost 11 of their last 12 road games.
- These two teams have not played one another in the regular season since 2019, though they did meet in the 2020 playoffs.
- Kris Bryant will be available for the series despite not being 100% healthy after he was hit by a pitch on Tuesday. Bryant sat out one game but played in Thursday night’s finale in New York.