The Cubs lost a grueling 18-inning marathon and were swept by the Yankees. Now, on almost zero rest, they head to the Mile-High City to play the Rockies. The Northsiders continue to be aggressively average in 2017, entering the series with a 16-15 record. The problem of late has been staring pitching, with Sunday’s starter Jon Lester becoming the first member of the rotation to go 7 innings in a game since Easter.
The Rockies have had no such slow start out of the gate. Colorado is 20-12 and in 1st place in the National League West. Surprisingly, the offensive leader in 2017 isn’t a big name like Nolan Arenado, Carlos Gonzalez, or Trevor Story. Journeyman first baseman Mark Reynolds is hitting .321 with 11 homers and 27 runs batted in.
Adam Ottavino, Jake McGee, and rejuvenated closer Greg Holland have given the Rockies a very good bullpen. It goes without saying the Cubs need to avoid falling behind as has been the trend of late.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, May 8 at 7:40 CT on CSN
- Tuesday, May 9 at 7:40 CT on WGN
- Wednesday, May 10 at 2:10 on CSN
What To Watch For
- The Cubs continue to fall behind in the first inning, having given up a staggering 41 runs in the opening frame. It would be nice to see that stop soon, particularly with a bullpen that has been stretched to the limit lately.
- The Rockies are staring three rookie pitchers in the series: RHP Antonio Sensatela and LHP Kyle Freeland in particular have been excellent so far.
- Javy Baez has been on fire over the last week. He is hitting .379 with three homers, seven runs, and five RBI. His approach has been much better as of late, highlighted by an eight pitch at-bat in the ninth inning against Aroldis Chapman Sunday night. If he can continue to see the ball well and put together quality at-bats, he could have a big impact in the high altitude of Denver.
- Anthony Rizzo has been as cold as Javy has been hot. He has three hits the last week for a cool .103 batting average with only one run and one RBI. A Chapman fastball off the arm probably isn’t going to help him get off the schneid. Don’t be surprised to see Rizzo get at least one day off in Colorado.