The Cubs (82-74) battled for a crucial sweep of the Colorado Rockies this weekend to maintain their position in the Wild Card race. They are tied with the Diamondbacks (82-74) for the second spot and maintain a one-game lead over the Marlins (81-75) for the final spot with just six remaining.
Chicago now finishes the season with a road trip to face two division winners beginning with three in Atlanta against the mighty Braves (100-56). The National League East champions just took home their 100th win and have already secured a first-round bye in the playoffs, though they still need to keep pushing because they’re only 3.5 up on the Dodgers (96-59) for the top overall seed.
The Braves have placed two of their starting pitchers, Max Fried and Charlie Morton, on the injured list and have cooled a bit with a 4-7 record since clinching their division. They still have an unbelievable offense featuring MVP candidates Matt Olson and Ronald Acuña Jr., not to mention legendary Cub-killer Ozzie Albies. Given that this could be the most dangerous lineup ever assembled top to bottom, even resting a few guys doesn’t give opposing pitchers much of a break.
The Cubs took two of three from the Braves at Wrigley Field back in August, and that was when the Braves were playing at pretty much full strength. It might be a lot to ask for, but the North Siders may have to repeat that effort in order to maintain their playoff position. The D-backs are playing the White Sox and the Marlins are facing the Mets, so not exactly juggernauts.
Fun? Gut-wrenching? Both? Guess we’ll find out.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Tuesday, September 26 at 6:20pm CT on TBS and Marquee.
- Wednesday, September 27 at 6:20pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee.
- Thursday, September 28 at 6:20pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee.
What to Watch For
- Steele has allowed 12 runs in his last two starts.
- The Braves have yet to name starters for Wednesday or Thursday.
- Seiya Suzuki had six hits including a home run against the Rockies.
- Stroman gets another start with Javier Assad possibly piggybacking him in the middle innings.